Sapanta village is located on the right bank of the Tisza River in the valley of the terrace, near the confluence Sapanta and Tisza, in the extreme north of Romania, Maramures Country. The village is situated about 18 km from Sighet Marmatiei.
Village area is approximately 150 square kilometers and includes meadows, terraced hills and mountains. The settlement is dominated by Sapanta Stone, an impressive volcanic formation.
Attested in the 1300s, known in 1373 under the name "Zapancha" Sapanta city, part of the historical Maramures, his name may be derived after the statement poet John Alexander, from the Latin Sapientia (wisdom).